Skip to main content
Is this the end?

I think our hamster is dying. He's acting really strange, lethargic, not eating or drinking, not sleeping in his usual spot, and breathing harder than usual. He is really freakin' old, and I've joked about how he's the "hamster that just won't die". Today though, I'm worried about him. I don't want him to die. I cleaned out his cage, fresh food, fresh water. He seemed OK when he was running around in his ball. Then I put him back in his cage, he stuffed his cheeks with food, and then spit it back out. And started acting weird again. I read something online that said that the cedar chips in his cage might cause him to have respiratory problems, and maybe there's something wrong with his food...it might be old or something...

I'm gonna try getting him some different bedding and new food and see what happens. He is like freakin' 4 years old though!!! They're only supposed to live like 2-3 years. I'm not taking him to a vet! Where's your little Dr. Kavorkian (sp) for hamsters, Jess!? I sure could use her!

Comments

Kaycee said…
THat's aweful liz. I doubt the bedding is doing anything, if you have alwys been using the same stuff. He could be dying. Maybe give him a little vodka, gin or something to make him go quickly. Sad. I would take him to the vet but I am just a freak like that.
Jessiedc28 said…
Yea having Allison there to put my dying hamster down was nice. Other people at the party were talking about putting him in a sock and smacking him against a wall really quickly to put him out of his misery. This person used to do that at PetCo when they'd have a sick one. =( I could never bring myself to do that. I'd go with the gin idea. If I was a hamster I'd MUCH rather die of a gin and tonic then a body slam to the wall while stuffed in a sock....
Kaycee said…
THAT IS AWEFUL! they told us to do that with the mice before we feed fluffy, but I can't do that. YOu could always ship your hampster to us and we could feed him to fluffy!

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Share? I have a huge crush. I have a huge crush on a man I've never met in person. I have a huge crush on a man who does things that are very cool. Yesterday in the mail I got the book that he sent me...the book that he wrote...a book about all of his travels and adventures. The more I read this book, the less confident I start to feel about this being a possible "match". I have no idea what I can offer this older, more sophisticated, more worldly man. The biggest adventures in my life are grappling with 18-year old freshmen for a parking space at school, finishing a set of push-ups and pull-ups at the gym, or wrestling my daughter to the ground for a bath. Maybe I can teach him all about Sponge-Bob Square Pants? This is again one of those times where things seem too good to be true. The emails we send back and forth would suggest that there is a great interest and curiosity on both sides, and that something really good could possibly come from this!!! His ...

I'll blog about my weekend at some point, but in the meantime...

Mi-Mi and Obi-Wan hanging out at one of our bars...
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!! Last night there was a costume party (aka Halloween Party...but some people don't celebrate Halloween?...so hence just being called a costume party) for the Union stewards at work...I'm not a steward, and I only just became a memeber of the Union on my last day of work in June...and only became a memeber because there were a lot of "things" going on at work, and I didn't want to be easily fired...however, the party was at a good friend from work's house, so I got an invite...I think they just really needed an extra kid...the party was kicked off by us watching the little girls, including Gabby, do a project...the project was to get this guy from work into his costume...they did his make-up...he was such a good sport about it and it was hilarious!!! Then followed up by lots of Malibu on ice. I threw together a cat outfit, by the way, for the party...I'll have to post the pics...kind of funny. Tonight I will be out amongst all the other pa...