Skip to main content

Did it all fall apart because of a foundation repair?

Written February 13, 2021, when I tried to start a Wordpress blog, but failed because I'm old and it's too complicated.

I had big dreams of starting to blog again. Thought I would be so excited and write a post everyday. Life has changed so much in the last 10 years. I also now seem to find this intimidating... daunting... a chore... an expectation. Gotta send those thoughts away. 

I've been working on a million home projects. I bought my house with my husband three months after our wedding. It was 30+ years old, but had been flipped. After looking at a million homes that all needed at least a coat of paint, a home with nothing to do right away seemed like heaven. That is until cracks and pens rolling off tables and slightly tilting table lamps started to happen. Foundation problem. A HUGE foundation problem. I was pregnant with my son when I demanded the foundation be fixed before he was born because I refused to live in a construction zone with a baby. I was emotional and maybe not thinking straight.

We spent our entire savings to have 46 pillars put in and around our home, which corrected the foundation, but caused more cracks and new flooring that I regret (very dark vinyl that shows all the dirt). Maybe this is when it all went wrong? I stopped caring about my home. I had a newborn baby. I was pumping breast milk around the clock. My daughter was 16. 

Six years later and not much has been done around here. Six years ago I think my husband and I both checked out. I've always thought you need to have a near perfect relationship before you have children because even with a great relationship, the kids will tear you apart - at least try to. It certainly contributed to the breaking apart of my marriage. Not sure many could've survived a foundation repair, draining of savings, gestational diabetes, a 16-year old daughter, a baby born a month early, 3 cats, and adopting a 7-week old puppy - all within a year.

Well... here I am with no clear picture about my marriage, but a very clear vision of tackling this house and making it mine! First major project was completing the front room of this house. It has a really high, nice vaulted ceiling and was probably meant to be a formal dining area. I don't need a formal anything room, so a couple of years ago, I started turning it into a functional family/play area... then a work/creating space for my son and me.

Finishing this room will take a faux brick wall with a German Schmear, new paint (Perfect Greige), built-by-me, floating, wood shelves, window treatments, new floors, and new baseboards. Here are BEFORE pictures... more to come...

The MLS photo of this room from when we bought the house - because I never remember to take before and after pictures

When it became a room to store junk, and I didn't care

When I quit my job, but ended up working part-time (they begged) because I thought it would fix my marriage and my life.  I turned this area into a play/learning area for my then 3-year old son.  Little did I know he would leave a month later.

When I changed it into a work/creating space for both my then 5-year old son and me.  Little did I know working from home would begin in about 3 months due to a pandemic.  I must have had a sixth sense because I was prepared to work at home!

When I changed out the light fixture, and I actually had to start working from home due to the pandemic.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling the Urge . . . I'm kind of feeling an urge to blog this morning...just to get my thoughts out...do something to keep my mind busy and relieve some stress...yet, I don't seem to have anything to say. I totatlly skipped doing cardio this morning, and know that I won't make it to the gym for the rest of the day...being very lazy. I stopped this morning and got a bagel and coffee. I was standing in line with all the other people who were either wearing business suits or scrubs (I live in the medical center after all), and I felt quite out of place in my Maroon5 (yeah!) T-shirt and jeans that I wore to school last night and just threw on this morning to take Gabby to school. No make-up and hair in a ponytail. I was looking quite decrepit amongst those other "working folks"! I'm wondering how my life got to be this freakin' boring!!! And then I'm wondering why the bagel shop has to be right next to a mortuary?...just a thought.
What is the definition of love? Some anonymous person asked me this in the 'comments section' many blogs ago. A hard one to answer...everyone has a different answer...I am slowly admitting to myself that I have never truly been in love...I have felt deep affection for people, and I have had my feelings manipulated, and I have definitely been in lust...But I honestly can say that I've never been in love on my own terms...I'm so ready to be swept completely off my feet...