Skip to main content

Scariest Night of My Life

I drank too much last night. But, a lot less than usual. I was definitely drunk, but not completely shit faced. So, I left the bar, starting driving home...a friend was following me...and I looked into my rearview mirror and realized that that wasn't my friend behind me anymore...it was flashing nights. My heart went into my stomach. But, then it was weird because I wasn't actually freaking out THAT bad.

I very slowly grabbed my license, rolled my window down, and sat there...trying to put on a good game face.

The cop walks up and says, "I pulled you over because you were doing 50 and it's 35 all the way through here."

Me (playing really dumb!), "Oh, really? I didn't know that."

Cop, "And you bumped a curb."

Me, "I know, I'm so sorry, I was text messaging." (which I was)

Cop, "How much have you had to drink tonight?"

Me, "Like 2 beers."

Cop, "Ok,..."

Me, "Do you need...."

Cop, "Have a good night, and be safe."

He let me go. I can't believe he let me go! That's when I finally freaked out. Do you realize what kind of powers that be were working for me last night? I'm not even sure I fully comprehend it either. I've only been pulled over...when I've been driving...2 or 3 times in my life. I've only had one speeding ticket EVER! So, just getting pulled over in general for me is a scary thing...but to get pulled over when I'm hammered??? What if I had gone to jail? What would I be telling Gabby this morning.

I don't know what this means for my future...in drinking...but, of course, it's in the back of my head that something needs to drastically change.

Comments

Unknown said…
Your Guardian Angel was working over time........and you just gave me a stroke!!! Please be careful. I love you! Schwenk!
Jacq said…
Damn! I could never have that kind of luck! I definitely would have been thrown in jail. And not because I'd get nasty with the cop, just because THAT'S MY LUCK!!!!

I've gotten a couple of speeding tickets in my 30s (never when I SHOULD HAVE, which is even scarier!!!). Even though I had to pay a fine, I never had points on my license. Now THAT is a good thing!

As for the drinking, I haven't done much of that recently. Even when I try to drink, I really can't.

Damn, I must be gettin' old!
Anonymous said…
I'm so glad you got off! The striped jail bird outfit just isn't you!

xo
Jess

Popular posts from this blog

Feeling the Urge . . . I'm kind of feeling an urge to blog this morning...just to get my thoughts out...do something to keep my mind busy and relieve some stress...yet, I don't seem to have anything to say. I totatlly skipped doing cardio this morning, and know that I won't make it to the gym for the rest of the day...being very lazy. I stopped this morning and got a bagel and coffee. I was standing in line with all the other people who were either wearing business suits or scrubs (I live in the medical center after all), and I felt quite out of place in my Maroon5 (yeah!) T-shirt and jeans that I wore to school last night and just threw on this morning to take Gabby to school. No make-up and hair in a ponytail. I was looking quite decrepit amongst those other "working folks"! I'm wondering how my life got to be this freakin' boring!!! And then I'm wondering why the bagel shop has to be right next to a mortuary?...just a thought.
What is the definition of love? Some anonymous person asked me this in the 'comments section' many blogs ago. A hard one to answer...everyone has a different answer...I am slowly admitting to myself that I have never truly been in love...I have felt deep affection for people, and I have had my feelings manipulated, and I have definitely been in lust...But I honestly can say that I've never been in love on my own terms...I'm so ready to be swept completely off my feet...